Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam’s Memorial at Pei Karumbu, Rameswaram
Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial in Rameswaram island becomes one of the important tourist attraction among the tourists and pilgrims who visit Rameswaram.
Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam, popularly known as the “Missile Man of India”, was the 11th President of India between 2002 and 2007.
He died of a cardiac arrest on July 27, 2015 in Shillong where he had gone to deliver a lecture. In the memory of our beloved people president Abdul Kalam , there is a grand memorial monument built over his tomb to honour him.
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam National Memorial in the Rameswaram island becomes one of the Must Visit top ten places places to visit in the Rameshwaram for the tourists.
Dr.Kalam’s worldly body rest in the peace beneath this monument’s central place, and his aura filled everywhere in this memorial through his thoughts .
Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam memorial showcases Dr APJ Abdul Kalam’s history. Personal belongings used by him, his portraits and his statues.
Statue of the our former President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, playing the musical instrument Veena is placed in the center of the memorial. There are two other silicon statues of Dr. Kalam, in presidential suit, in sitting and standing postures.
Sample model of the Agni missile placed in the Garden, which lies at the backyard of the Memorial.
Facts and Bites about the memorial:
- Spread over 2.11 acres of land, the memorial is constructed on the gravesite of Dr. Kalam, where his mortal remnants were put to rest on July 27, 2015.
- The construction work of the Dr.APJ.Abdul kalam’s national memorial had been started after a year of his death.
- In order to pay tribute to India’s missile man, The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), with which Dr. Kalam had been associated for several years of his life, came up with an initiative to construct his memorial. And with an investment of Rs 20 crore, its construction had been completed in a time of just 9 months.
- Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial was opened by our prime minister Narendra modi on July 27,2017.
- The monument mirrors a fine blend of the Indian and Mughal architecture.
- The entrance of the monument depicts the India Gate, compiled with a Chettinad door that resembles the entrance door of the Brihadeeswara Temple in Thanjavur, while the main dome of the building is a replica of the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The yellow stones that are used in its construction was brought from closer to Pakistan. Whereas, sand, water and other materials had been obtained from all over India. Hence, it’s a symbol of national integration.
- Every stone placed in the memorial represents Kalam’s dream of United India. He had always admired the different aspects of India’s culture, so to pay homage to Kalam’s life, they have all been integrated in this monument.
- About 900 paintings and 200 rare photographs of Kalam, who held the office of president from 2002 to 2007, are on display at the memorial.
- Library, planetarium, auditorium, etc, are planned for the second phase of the Abdul Kalam memorial, to be completed in the next phase of development.
How to reach Abdul Kalam Memorial?
One can reach this place by means of Auto or local buses(towards Pamban or Mandapam) from Rameswaram . If you can private vehicles you can stop directly here. Parking facilities are there for vehicles.
Map Route for APJ Abdul Kalam Monument:
Open and Close Timings:
Opening at Morning 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM 2:00 to 5:00 PM.