Dhanushkodi Beach and Ghost Town
Dhanuskodi lies in the southern tip of the Rameswaram. The word Dhanushkodi literally means “ tip of the bow”. This spectacular place is bordered by bay of Bengal sea on one side and Indian ocean on the other, at the very tip of Dhanushkodi one can view the merging point of the seas Indian ocean (A sea with high tides) and bay of Bengal (the low tide sea), this point is named as “Arichal Munai”. Dhanushkodi is a crowded as a busy city before the 1964 storm , on 1964 december 22, a heavy storm washes away the entire dhanushkodi and shatters it into pieces.
Dhanushkodi is now with the population of around 500 (few fishermen and their families still residing there).with its shattered remnants (Remnants of old Church,Railway station,passport office can be seen here).
Previously there is no road service to the dhanushkodi (devastated city and arichal munai point).The roads were end at the place called as mukuntharayar chatram, after this place there was only sandy region. Buses ,or private vehicles such as cars,autos can’t travel in this sandy sea shore region ,there was only the jeeps and van service helps us to travel along the sand
Now there is a new road service started by government of India upto the Rama sethu point (Arichal munai) and it is opened now for the public transport.one can now reach dhanushkodi by government buses,Auto rickshaws or by their private vehicles such as bikes,car, van etc.,
The beach of the Dhanushkodi (Mukuntha Rayar Chathram @ Moondraam Chathiram) extends upto 15 Km long. The shore in the place called Mukundharayar Chathram is safest region for taking baths and playing in the high tide sea. since the tides of the sea is very high (maximum height registered as 12 feet) it is not suitable for the persons who don’t know swimming. The beach bike ride in this sea shore is ecstatic experience.
Dhanushkodi acts as a natural birds sanctuary, During Winters (October,November) sea gulls , flamingos and some more birds from Europe and Australia visits Dhanushkodi (Normally they clustered in the place near Gothanda Ramar temple).
Remnants of the destroyed city :
It is said that 3km of the old Dhanushkodi city had been washed away into the sea, some of the after storm remnants can be clearly noticeable and is available for the public view.
The following remnants can be clearly noticeable in the Devastated – Dhanushkodi.
- The remnants of Railway station
- Pieces of Railway tracks
- The remnants of catholic church
- Wrecked ship and boat parts
- The remnants of port office
- The remnants of post office
Arichal munai (Rama Sethu point):
Arichal Munai is the merging point of two seas and the end of rameswaram, this point in the Dhanuskodi is the land border of india and srilanka, from here the srilanka is nearly about 15 KM.
The merging point of two seas (Arichal munai) is considered as dangerous place for swimming or taking baths.(whirlpools may inside the sea , and the Tides are heavy).
Where is Dhanuskodi?
Dhanushkodi is situated at the southern tip of Rameswaram, from Rameswaram it is nearly 20 KM.
|From||How far is Agni theertham|
|Rameswaram bus stand||20 km|
|Parking Area (Government) and Agni theertham||18 KM|
|Railway Station||16 KM|
How can I reach Dhanushkodi?
- By means of government buses (Bus No:3) (buses available from Agni Theertham bus stand (Not from main bus stand). The buses went upto to the arcichal munai (Rama sethu Point).
- Bus frequency : 1 bus in every 45 minutes
- Or by means of private vehicles such as bikes, car etc.,
- Jeeps provided by some lodges and travels
What’s up for me in Dhanushkodi?
- The view of spectacular blue sea with high tides
- Bike ride on the shore
- Playing on the sea shore and taking baths
- A calm and rejuvenating walk on the beach
- View of the remnants
- Merging point of the sea (Southernmost end of Rameswaram)
- During Winter (October, November ) seasons sea gulls , flamingos and some more birds from other countries visits Dhanushkodi (they clustered in the palce near Gothanda Ramar temple).
- The visit to Dhanushkodi during night and staying at there are prohibited.
- Bathing in the Dhanushkodi sea is dangerous ( whirlpools are avail inside the sea) .
- The journey to this place is prophibhited during winters, Rain and Storms.
(To know more about Dhanushkodi visit this links :